Monday 11 March 2024

Day 18 - In Ushaia Museo and NP

 We were glad to have a rest today, after the trials of yesterdays ride in the rain wind and cold.

Much time was taken to drying out all our kit overnight. For the first time ever, I had wet feet in my favourite boots. They stank.

In the morning, Willy took the wheel off my bike to patch the inside of the tire but it did not work, so we just replaced the plug. 

I ran for a late breakfast and we headed off to the National Museum in the Presidio, the old Jail built for recidivist convicts based on the Tasmanian version, in 1902. It took nearly 20 years to finish, but the museum is a gem of history, particularly regarding shipping around the horn and through the Beagle Channel where Fitzroy went in the Beagle with Charles Darwin onboard. I recommend a visit.

At 2pm we rode into the National Park on the Chilean border, the end of the Pan Pacific Highway, Ruta3 which runs 17000 kilometres from Prudoe Bay Alaska to here. The sign is 24 kilometres west of Ushaia.



In the evening I had dinner with Jeff and also Carl Notfors who was on my ride in Tibet, and is originally from Sweden. He is married to a chinese lady and retired to Singapore now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment