Thursday 7 March 2024

Day 14 - Calafate to Torre del Paine National Park

 This was a Border Crossing day, so JC was as always, a little hesitant.

We were heading back into Chile, so that we could visit the Torre Del Paine National Park and stay here for two nights. It is about 250km south of the Fitzroy Group and Cerro Torre around Chalten.

Calafate had been a beautiful little town, with many tourists, all heading for the Moreno Glacier (that is supposed to hold more than a third of the world's fresh water), so there were lots of restaurants and hotels. However, it was impossible to get cash from the ATM's as the fee was about $7 for less than 10,000 Pesos (about AUD$12) so were glad we had cash. Still I managed to post a card to my Father. 

It rained overnight, but we headed out of town easily and the road was dry. The border crossing was fairly un-eventful, but I finally found what had caused me issues when I first came into Santiago. What I thought was my visa, was actually only a copy of the receipt that showed that I had paid and the visa was ok. I DO have an electronic copy but needed a paper one, which shows my face. Anyway, I was able to show it on my phone when they gave me access to the government WIFI.

We headed into the park, and about 40km of gravel, all straight forward except for a very few steep turns and many tourist cars and coaches. The views are breathtaking of the Towers of Paine, and also some water falls and many lakes. We stopped often at the miradors for photos, which can be seen on my YouTube channel.

Our accommodation is at the Serranova Town and Hotel, right on a bend of the Serranova River, formed from the ice water from the Gray River coming in above. The rooms were roomy with good heating and water and NO Wifi - you have to be in the lounge to get that, which seems deliberate. Anyway. Dinner was four courses and one of the best we have had. I had Llama Steak.

Tomorrow to more hiking.



No comments:

Post a Comment