Sunday 18 February 2024

Day Minus 4: "Every Lost Sock Matters" - Ultimate South America Moto Expedition USAME

My bags have been packed in part, for four weeks. Now for the fine-tuning, as every sock counts!

It's now 19 February, and one day until I fly out to Santiago, Chile and four until we ride off. So I am washing up gear, and in the process have found a single sock belonging to Sheryle. Preparing for 5 months on the road, is rather different from a ten-day holiday, so every "white sock matters". 

The Tour leader, Compass Expeditions has provided two 100 litre Black Wolf softbags for us to bring out stuff in, mainly so that they can manage the packing into the van each day, and keep everything tidy and rattle-proof. While this is probably far more space than we need, there is no protection for delicate items. So they will be packed into plastic "lunch boxes" or taken in my small backpack.

So the question is what to take and what not? I have two theories:

  1.  Take all new stuff. It will then last the trip well, and you will be "well presented" and they will last.
  2. Take all old items, that are favourites, well liked and well used. 
I decided on the second option. When something is "done" I will throw it out. I plan to throw a lot out along the way. For example, I have two pairs of riding boots. One should have gone out a long time ago, but they are SO comfortable. I will use, abuse and dispose of these somewhere in South America.

But for white-sock-theory - what have I forgotten? It really does not matter, as I assure myself that I can survive well on what I have packed. Anyway, I could buy something else somewhere if it really matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment