Saturday 31 July 2021

2nd Ride Review - HD Pan America - Fixes?

 Harley Davidson's Pan America adventure bike is taking the world by storm. 

Pan Am sales are a closely guarded secret, but "they" say it has sold at four-times expectations, (which in itself is creating some new challenges for the MoCo).

But is it really as good as all that? And what can be changed or added to make it "the perfect bike"? Following my first ride, and comparing it to the four BMW GS Adventure's that I have owned, I have to say that this motorcycle surely has some secret-sauce. So I am really trying very hard not to order one right now, as I think Harley will make some small but VERY significant changes in the next version of the Pan America. So what would should you consider and what might you change or add?

Accessories: Harley has a REAL problem with lack of availability of accessories for this bike right now. They just dont have enough. And that is a problem on an adventure bike. Even the really "mandatory" items like the handlebar risers and the wire wheels are in very short supply. If I buy this bike, I want immediate access to a good range of these items as HD OEM, or third party. An example is the black top-box plus and the bash-plate (at $540!) to make it complete. To make matters worse, HD did not work with the other accessory makers such as Touratech from early days, so those companies are all racing to get stuff made to fit the Pan America starting with a reasonable, small and lower exhaust system!

The Starter "Whine": This is the most commonly reported issue, is a strange sound when starting the bike. Because the bike works on a "Can-Bus" electonics system, you MUST only touch the starting button to get it going. If you hold it down, you can cause a problem. Permanently fixing the whine is a big focus from Harley right now, as it is in part due to the compression created when one cylinder as at TDC and can be aggravated by a low battery. Note that it is intermittent and not a problem on all bikes. 

Software I, No Apple CarPlay: Harley is updating the software every few weeks (it seems) which is great to see, but there are a few interesting glitches. While I have no doubt that they will fix them asap, it is frustrating to have a clock that wont keep time, or a GPS that does not work reliably. To drive the GPS and other features, you need to download the PROPRIETARY Harley Pan Am app to your phone and synch it. Sometimes it works and sometimes not. Moreover, you cannot use Apple CarPlay or the Android equivalent - sorry Harley Davison, that is just not acceptable. 

Software II - Poor GPS: A GPS is a critical item for me, and the one on this bike does not work quickly or properly - this is a software problem that will get fixed, but until it does, I wont ride a Pan Am. 

A S*** Sidestand: I use that word S*** advisedly, but this is one area that needs immediate attention on the Pan America. The bike is tall, so that moving it around on the sidestand as a pivot, is a key requirement when riding off-road. But it flexes - a lot, even when the bike is not loaded with gear. Additionally, if you set the bike up on the centre-stand, then the side-stand will not close up properly and is a hazard - catch your trouser leg on this, and you will have a fall. 

Battery Charge: The battery can, in some cases, run out of charge over-night. This is a problem that you dont want, if you are out in the desert, or in my case living in an apartment where I cannot get ready access to a power-point, to charge the bike every night. There is a software fix, but this is a problem I do not want to worry about - ever.

Tank Size: The fuel tank is too small IMHO. It has a range of about 400km, which is fine for the latte riders but not for those who actually want to go places. Australia (and America, Canada, Finland, Africa) are big countries, with common distance between gas stations over 420km, so you need decent fuel range. While I am sure that HD will bring out an "Adventure" version of this bike, with a big tank (say 30-35 litres), I can't wait that long, and may well cut my tank and build a bigger one.

Finish: This is an Adventure bike, so it's going to get some rough treatment, and HD is not really ready for that. There are a lot of plastic covers on this bike (just go tapping around the engine) and also some close fits. For example, the radiator hose is very close to the exhaust pipe - not an issue if it is all fitted up nice and tight, but worth watching out in the bush. 

Image: A few of the older world Harley riders are really jealous of it. Some years ago, I rode my BMW GSA to a HOG ride with 25 others, and received an absolute caning for even DARING to join them. I didn't give a shit then and I don't now - I happily rode off on my own from that encounter, but I do expect to get some criticism from the "old HOG crowd" when I buy this bike. Stuff-em.

So What would I add? If the items were available, I would add the following items:

  1. The Black Bike; Why pay more for colour? Seriously HD, the extra cost for the coloured bike is excessive over-charging. For the $650 I save, I can get a really cool paint job done, to my liking.
  2. A proper bash-plate, for running over dead kangaroos, which I do. There will be lot of options here, in due course, and they will be a lot cheaper than $540.
  3. A new muffler. Yes, I would like a lower option so that I can fit bags closer to the bike, but also something with a little more sound, for those moments when I want to pin-it past a StreetGlide.
  4. Bar risers: the HD ones are good, and dont flex, but ROX will come up with a more competitive option I am sure. I like to stand when on the gravel, or stretching my legs coming into town.
  5. A Quad-lock mount to attach my mobile phone, and probably an extra GPS, preferably above the current digital display (and yes there are already people out there with a new mount for this
  6. A stonger Side-stand with a wider foot: which will problaby come from Touratech and camel-toe, unless Harley Davison provides a proper fix in time - which is inevitable.
  7. The SW-Motech BLACK Top box from Harley. I like the look of this one, and it will bring the rack with it. 
  8. Driving Lights from Clearwater (or the HD ones). I already have a set of "Erica's" ready to go - with real lighting for night riding.
  9. Better Hand Guards: the Harley ones are super-light and will not last through the first off-road fall. I would also add Grip Puppies, to bring the diameter of the grips up to a size that fits winter gloves.
  10. A Screen Extension: I would try the standard screen for a while to see if it is sufficient (as many riders have found) but add an extension if needed. 
  11. A Scott Oiler: maybe, to keep the chain in good order. 

No comments:

Post a Comment