Tuesday 8 September 2015

IBR 2015 Part 5 - What Worked and What Broke?

So What Worked and What did I like?


1.     My Bike; I love my BMW R1200GS Adventure (Water cooled 125 HP motor with cruise control, wet clutch, balanced flywheel, traction control, TPM’s. left-side swing arm etc). Five of these bikes were entered, plus many more air-cooled GSA’s. It is important to understand that this model is NOTHING like the previous GSA. All 2014/15 models survived unscathed. Other popular models are the Yamaha FJR 13200, Honda Goldwing, Triumph Trophy and Honda ST1300, all good bikes. Some Harley Davidsons also proved their reliability, generally those built around the “Touring Models”.
2.     My Plan: my overall approach and plan worked well. I have over 800 pages of documentation prepared to get my head in the right place. There are even “lists of lists”. Some are exquisitely detailed (and are not for everyone)–
a.     I have a detailed Kit List on Version 11 which became shorter and shorter over time
b.     I have a list of all the items I pack on myself in my jacket and pants listed by pocket location – I know that some people will find this “excessive”– fine, but that is my way.
c.      I have a list of every tool I took and why I have each one on my bike.
d.     I have a detailed list of food to take and which days to eat it
e.     I have a pre-prepared route to the “Four Corners” of the USA from Albuquerque and a “Forty Eight States” plan based around ABQ and TN.
f.      Back up plans – “If this fails, then what?”
3.     My Gear: I bought the best I could afford, and changed some items multiple times to get it right. I changed my drinking containers three times and my GPS’s two times.  Specifically
a.     The Maple Farkles long-range 3.4 gallon gas tank
b.     My Maple Farkles wheelie top box from Pelican
c.      The Platypus two-quart drinking container and one gallon Bubba Keg with electric pump (a last minute add-on which paid in spades)
d.     My Touratech tool box
e.     The Michelin Road Pilot IV GT Tires
f.      My custom seat from MJM in Goulburn NSW
g.     My Clearwater LED driving Lights (brilliant)
h.     My SENA Bluetooth system
i.       My Schuberth flip-face helmet (brilliant)
j.       My Garmin 590LM and Navigator V GPS’s plus the Garmin 660.
k.     My Iron Butt Stretchy shirts for stopping suit-chafe in the wind
l.       My BMW Riding boots – excellent.
m.   My Aerostich Elk Skin Gloves – excellent for keeping the sun off as they are light in color – will buy a new set for the next rally. They are also cheap.
4.     My Support Team: which came together later in the ride, and was absolutely crucial, but the assistance from:
a.     Peter Hogan and Ian McPhee (plus Colleen), plus Shane Cudlin in the earlier days was invaluable, from “Far Riders” Australia. Sage advice gentlemen.
b.     Sam Lisle for the data taken off his super-computer on EVERY IBR run and every entrant
c.      Tim Masterson for his enigmatic spreadsheets
d.     Greg Rice for his masterful IT interpretation of all the weather channels in the USA – http://www.gregrice.com/
e.     Peter “Greenie” Green and Kristy in ABQ who was my pit-crew and helped me change tires, remove saddle bags, bought me clothes and food – awesome help. He even offered to drive across country to bring me spare tires!
f.      Dan Simmonds in PA who changed my oil at a critical moment and made me coffee, cleaned my mirrors and lights of road-kill – you have no idea.
g.     Sheryle Moon, who always said “go for it” – the sort of support you need from a spouse, otherwise life gets too hard.
h.     Others behind the scenes who just gave positive words. The LDR Community is the most helpful and supportive group I have ever known.

So What Broke or Could be Better for Next Time?


Here I am being picky, because it can always be better.
1.     Food: I needed about 4000 calories per day and didn’t always get it. I took energy bars, gels and salts.
2.     Tires: I went through two rear tires. I would love to find a way to use one rear for the whole rally and avoid the change.
3.     Side Cases: I started without any, saving 7mpg in gas, but included a small second-hand Pelican case – which melted in the heat from the exhaust. I need two super-slim metal cases, about 3-4 inches wide only – this will be a focus change for the next rally
4.     GPS’: all three of them failed at one stage. I replaced the Navigator V under warranty at the start of Leg 2, and lost my SENA connection and all my music! I fixed the LM590 by putting it in the fridge and did a re-boot on the 660.
5.     Lights – my Clearwater’s were brilliant, but I could do with more light.
6.     Exhaust: I use the stock BMW exhaust but in 100 degree conditions it gets hot under my rear. I plan to lower it like Mark Crane has done.
7.     Underwear: despite all my trials, I cannot find “LD Comforts” to be comfortable despite their popularity – I need to find long pants (to avoid leg chafe) which are very light and stretchy so that they dry quickly.
8.     Aerostich Suit: I bought a “Darien” supposed to be the most waterproof suit that Aerostich makes, but it leaked like a sieve in pouring rain. I will move to my KLIM suit, which is made of Gortex. I DO like the pockets on the Aerostich more than the KLIM but this is not all important. The Aerostich “Roadmaster” which I also own in a very old version, is a good suit too, but also not completely waterproof. It fits me better and may be an alternate as it’s better than the Darien.
9.     Visor: I trashed my visor in the rally, having started with a brand new one. One thing I have found in the USA is how much stuff flies around you on the road – birds, stones, tire parts, hail etc. Wear a full visor!


Currently planned Changes (For Butt Lite VIII)

1.     Wear the KLIM suit not an Aerostich
2.     Buy the very thin panniers and take them
3.     Lower the exhaust pipe using a Mark Crane bracket
4.     Re-program my SENA units
5.     On the GPS, put the Podcasts only, no music
6.     Put Music on my Cell Phone
7.     Buy a new mounting system for my Cell Phone (replaces the X-Mount)
8.     Take and use a mini-vault battery as standard
9.     Put more work into choosing good food, e.g. tinned fish.

10. Consider replacing the tank with a wedge shaped one.

No comments:

Post a Comment